Monday, May 26, 2025

Here is My Movie Review of Thunderbolts*

 


Here is My Movie Review of Thunderbolts*






Now something that really interested to me about this storyline it that is actually a PG-13 version of Rise of the Guardians that's what this movie reminded me of because both movies center around the character being lonely and depressed and each character has to go up against an evil dark entity that represents loneliness and depression and this film you essentially have Yelena who at the start of the film is attempting to kill herself because she's upset that her dad red Guardian has not been there for her but then she goes to this vault and she meets Ava aka ghost US agent and Taskmaster  and again to you a big fight Because you find out that they weren't there to complete a mission Valentina was Actually trying to get them to kill each other and Ava kills taskmaster by shooting her in the hand. But then they meet this guy named Bob now this character is lonely and depressed because he had a terrible childhood and he also has this evil side called The Void and Elena Instantly cares for him because she is also going through a loneliness and depression And all them galve the facility and they're all captured by Bucky Barnes who doesn't believe that they're good she's going to take them in to get arrested by Valentina but then Valentina uses bomb experimenting on him and turning him into the century and she manipulates him by saying oh they never cared for you and she told them that oh once you guys are gone I'll be uninpeachable but unfortunately the void going inside Valentina's head and she experience is her tragic life And then the void is Released onto New York and he essentially wants to Have Bob be lonely and depressed and kill the Thunderbolts so Bob can stay with the void Because Addie said in the movie we will always be alone. Now it's up to the Thunderbolts to help Bob get over his bad home life and move on from his past and take down the Void. Now with the storyline like that You'll think this is Rise of the Guardians but If it was an MCU film. Now you'll be correct because both of these movies have similar themes and both movies handle their story lines perfectly.


The acting in this film I have to say at first I thought the performance of were not going to be really good but I got to say this I was completely wrong the performances or tremendous in fact this is the best acted film in the MCU phase 5 because every single actor is giving it they're all and this is probably the best acted film in the MCU post end game. All the rewatching the film again the acting is filled tremendous.




Now the performance. I really want to talk about  Florence Pugh as Yelena  because in Black Widow I thought she was okay in that film. I thought she did an okay job as the character. But I have to say in this film she gives her best performance in the MCU because he just gives such a raw and really captivating emotional performance. Now the character of Yelena is tremendous because in Black Widow I thought she was okay. I thought like she's entertaining but she's not the best MCU character post end game. But I have to say in this film she is tremendous because she has a very dramatic backstory that they dive into  because you find out that she accidentally got a little girl killed by a KGB Soldier and that traumatized Yelena really badly because she didn't want to conquer her fears and confront her past. The scenes where Yelena goes into the Void and she sees herself getting that little girl killed it's one of the scariest moments in the entire film because she feels guilty that she got a little girl killed by a russian soldier. It is probably one of the most tragic moments of the entire film. Also her jokes were really funny like her gang annoyed at Red Guardian was not only fight but it was understandable because she is mad that he is not spending enough time with her. All of that scene in the climax where she is hugging Bob along with the Thunderbolts to get him to my calm down and find happiness that is actually my favorite part of the entire film. The chemistry between her and Wyatt Russell, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Sebastian Stan, David Harbor, Lewis Pullman, Hannah-John Kaman Is tremendous. You can tell that all these actors have tremendous chemistry with one another.  




Wyatt Russell comes back as John Walker / U.S Agent In the film. He was really incredible because I actually thought he was the best thing about the Falcon and the Winter Soldier because even in parts where that show was not working  John Walker/ U.S Agent was the highlight of the entire show. I have to say in this film he gives his best performance as the character. You can just tell that Wyatt Russell poured so much heart and emotion into this performance. Now the character of John Walker/U.S agent is probably the funniest character in this entire film because his humor was actually really funny and really entertaining but they do give him a dramatic backstory in this film they actually add stuff that wasn't in the Falcon and the Winter Soldier and I think that was tremendous of How they made U.S Agent a better character in the MCU. The scenes With John Walker/us agent were really funny whether him trying to climb up the shaft and falling down or my favorite moment is where can you refer to Yelena and Ava as cheap mercenaries and he's like I'm going to take you in and Ava says yeah no and that was really funny the running and joke of him getting annoyed with everyone was really fight because he's ascended with the asshole of the group he's kind of like the Peacemaker of the MCU because Peacemaker was the asshole member of the suicide Squad but he was really funny. But the scene I really love is where John Walker / US Agent guilds in the void and he sees a flashback of himself have an argument with his wife because she wants them to take care of their son and he's kind of ignoring the baby he doesn't want to pay attention to it even though he does say that he is paying attention. But there's actually a really good reason why he was closed off is because he accidentally killed an instant man with his shield so he is traumatized by it and that is why he looks at his phone and it is much like the stuff with Yelena is one of the most depressing moments of the entire film because you really feel bad for you as agent in this film. Fun fact John Walker aka U.s Agent was going to be the main villain in the film and well I don't think that is a horrible idea I think it would have been kind Of a rehash of Falcon and the Winter Soldier how in that show he started out at the villain so they would have been just rehashing so I am happy that Void in the main villain. The chemistry between him and Florence Pugh was magnificent. 




Julia Louis-Dreyfus Comes back as Valentina in the film. I have to say it was really interesting to have her come back because we haven't seen her in the MCU sense Black Panther wakanda forever was l the last time we saw her and in that movie she was just a setup character she didn't really do much. But I have to say she does a glorious job in this movie because she actually has a lot more to do than she did in Black Panther Wakanda Forever. Now the character of Valentina is really interesting because when you first saw her in the MCU. I thought that she was good, like she wanted to help people. But surprisingly no she had her own evil plans in the film and it's really dark because she sends Elena out on a mission To kill someone but then they find out that they were sent to the vault to kill one another Because Valentina does not believe that these Characters can change because you believe that they're all bad they're all criminals that deserve to die. To be honest Valentina might be the most vile and one of the most cruel villains in the MCU. She also reminded me of Amanda Waller from The Suicide Squad because both of these characters are working for the government and they Try to get the teams to die except the difference being that Valentina doesn't put bombs in the characters next and she doesn't yell or swear at the top of her lungs like Amanda while were does but both female villains are great villains but they are horrible disgusting pieces of shit but I think viola Davis as Amanda Waller Is a lot more crazy because Julia Louis-Dreyfus give them more subtle performance The scenes Valentina are really awesome especially the scenes where she is manipulating Bob into turning on his team that was a really dark and sad Moment because Bob really cared about his new friends AKA his teammates and when She is introducing Century to the rest of the Thunderbolts he says Sentury your first mission is to take out this group of criminals. The chemistry between her and Florence Pugh Is magnificent. 





Hannah-John Kaman reprises her role as Ava Starr/Ghost In the film. Now here is the thing. I was not looking forward to this film and keep in mind this was actually the main reason why I decided to see this film because I enjoyed Ava Starr/Ghost in Ant-Man and the Wasp and I was like okay if the movie is not good. At least she will be the best thing in the film. To my surprise she still does a magnificent job playing the character and she hasn't played this character since 2018 and I have to say She still Has it because it feels like she has not missed a single beat as this character feels like she knew exactly what he was doing at the character. Now the character of Ava Starr/Ghost has not changed. She is still the same and you also feel bad for her because she is also experiencing loneliness and depression She just wants someone to spend time with  and she wants to help her team take down The Void and save New York. The scenes with Ava star/Ghost I actually my favorite moments in the film because she has like so many lines that are like really funny whether it is her same to John Walker/Us agent that's pretty ludicrous of you coming from the dime store Captain America. Or like that That scene where again John Walker falls over she says you should try that again and he goes like why can't you do it and go do their powers go through the wall and open the door and Ava goes like well first of all someone other than you have to tell me what to do and second I can only hold my powers for a Certain amount of time and if I don't turn it off I'll be crushed to death. Or the scene in the third act before the climax Yelena points out that Ava you're not even a good person and Ava says bitch because she doesn't even like Yelena she just find everyone in this team annoying but she does like them in her own way and I thought Ava had all the funniest moments in this film is he kind of reminded me of like Ridley from Death Of A Unicorn because both of them are really cynical they don't really care about anyone and they're both like irritable because they're like the smart ones while the other character throughout both of these movies are a little dumb Also the scene where Ava says to the other team like when they are in the incinerator she's like do you not see that the temperature rising and they don't get it and it reminds me of the scene in death of me in a corn where Riddly says to Her dad and the people who work at this facility because They see the Unicorn And they think the horse and Riddly said it's a fucking unicorn and that was like really funny and again it's just Of the way Ava acts in this film. The chemistry between her and Florence Pugh is tremendous. 




David Harbour reprises his role as  Red Guardian in the film. I have to say he still does a glorious job as this character because he was actually my favorite part in Black Widow. He was my favorite performance in that film even in parts where that movie was not working. David Harbour was still fun and entertaining  to watch. I have to think he probably gives one of the best performances and this Character who gives it a raw and incredibly captivating performance. Now the character of Red Guardian has not changed. He is still funny and entertaining and he really wants to help Yelena open up to her emotions and wants to help the rest of his team take down the void and say New York City. The scene where Red Guardian confronts Yelena Telling her that she has to confront her path and try to open up about her emotions it's probably one of the strongest moments between the two characters because Yelena is really closed off well red Guardian just wants to help her and he does apologize for not spending enough time with her and I thought that moment was one of the strongest moments of the entire film. But he is also still funny especially the part where he and Bucky compare like which super soldier serum they received and Bucky goes like Hydra and Red Guardian like kind of happy about that like he's overly joined and Bucky is like kind of annoyed with him so that was really funny Although the scene where he's telling Yelena not to go inside the brain building was Roy fight because she's Annoyed with red Guardian which is funny But it's also understandable because again Red Guardian didn't really spend time with Yelena. The chemistry between him and Florence Pugh is fantastic. 




Sebastian Stan comes back as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier. I have to say I have always liked him as this character in the MCU ever since he appeared in Captain America the First Avenger. He had always given a spectacular and remarkable performance as this character. Now in this movie that's no different because he still does a tremendous job as the character. In fact I think he gives one of his best performances as this character in the MCU. Now the character of Bucky Barnes / Winter Soldier has not changed you know he is still really serious and I like how they make him a congressman but he is still is the Winter Soldier both physically because he still has his metal arm and at first he doesn't want to help Yelena and her friends because he doesn't help those but he does eventually have a change of heart and decide to help them take down The Void and save New York. The scenes With Bucky Barnes/ the Winter Soldier are really tremendous some of my favorites include him chasing down the Thunderbolts on the road and yes he does look like Keanu Reeves with that silly haircut but you get used to it and one of my favorite moments is in the file panel against the void Bucket Barnes go like oh I have the best past of all I'm okay he like masking his pain by making a joke about it because hit his past was so traumatizing And he hated going through that so can you make the joke saying oh I have the best origin story out of all of you And that was really funny in fact Bucky Barn there might be the best developed character we have gotten in the MCU. The chemistry between him and Florence Pugh is magnificent.





However the absolute big standout on this entire film surprisingly is not Florence Pugh because don't get me wrong she is magnificent in this film. But the true stand out from the entire film is actually Lewis Pullman as Bob/ Sentry/ The Void because it does such an extraordinary job essentially playing three characters because he plays the innocent but really tragic Bob. But he also plays the powerful and badass hero known as Sentry. Now he also played the very disturbing and very horrifying character The Void. Also Lewis Pullman gave a similar performance to Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns where she played Catwoman and she essentially played different characters in one character. Now the character of Bob you really feels bad for him because he was experimented in the lab against his will, he had a horrible home life and he suffered through drug addiction. He's probably one of the most tragic characters in this entire film because he's gone through a lot of bad stuff. The scene where Bob talks to Yelena about being traumatized is what the saddest and one of the most heart-wrenching moments in the entire film because both of these characters went through traumatic origins Yelena accidentally killed a little girl and Bob had a horrible home life and he was addicted to drugs and he was Depressed all the time he wasn't happy. I think the bond between Bob and Yelena is the strongest aspect of the entire film. Now the character of Sentury is Bob's hero side because he is stronger than the Avengers Valentina wants to use him to have him save the world without the use of the Avengers. The scene where Sentury is fighting the Thunderbolts is a really awesome and really amazing scene because he kind of betrayed them because they were friends like his alter ego Bob what their friend but Valentina was just using them so she can have Bob kill his friends in front of her. So she essentially blackmailed Bob into helping her with project Sentry. It is probably one of the most brutal and one of the most shocking moments of the entire film. But let's talk about The Void, the main villain in the film. I thought  he was going to be a generic and boring villain. But to my surprise no he is one of the scariest and best villains in the MCU because he represents depression and he wants to be alone with Bob and kill the Thunderbolts so he can torture and manipulate Bob for all eternity. I think his motivations make sense how the void wants to consume Bob and control him like a puppet and just abuse the crap out of him making his life even worse than it already was. The scenes The void are incredible especially his introduction scene where he emerges from the sky and attacks New York and he says you can't Outrun the emptiness or what he says in the climax of the film it actually my favorite moment with The Void is where he's fighting Bob and he says you thought you were going to be some great man some savior you can't even save yourself we will always be alone And it does lead to some really scary and some really Chewing moments in this film because the first half I would say is a normal MCU film by by the last half like the third act it goes from a horror movie and the void is very similar to Pitch Black from Rise of the Guardians because both villains represent loneliness and depression and They almost succeed in Motivations how pitch black wanted the children to forget who the guardians were and The Void wanted to torture Bob and have him all to himself and kill the Thunderbolts. To be honest I always want that and I wish they did this in the actual movie I would have loved to see Jude Law voice Void in this film he has the perfect voice and I always come up with this interesting moment where in the climax when Void pins the Thunderbolts to the metal I always wanted Void to say you want to be alone Bob then fine be alone. It'll just be really scary but it'll be somewhat funny because of the way Jude Law would deliver the lines. By the way if you swap out Lewis Pullman v For Jude Law the movie will not be any different it'll be just as amazing as the actual film. Also I think Jude Law and Florence Pugh would play off each other perfectly. I think The Void is one of the best villains in the MCU phase 5. Not to mention The Void is so incredible that I'm like I wish he was the next Thanos instead of Kang because they actually built The void up other villain. The Void is up there with Green Goblin as one of the best villains of the 2020s. The Rivalry between him and the Thunderbolts is tremendous because he want to psychologically torture them all and have them be trapped inside of him for all of eternity until they die. The chemistry between him and Florence Pugh is tremendous. They have awesome and extraordinary chemistry together throughout the entire film and it's probably one of the best chemistry of the entire year. 



However the best thing in this movie is actually the directing by Jake Schreier Now he directed the movie Robot and Frank and he did a magnificent job directing that film. He tackled really powerful and emotional stuff and it was really incredible how I did that in that film. Here that's no different. I think this is his best directed film he has ever directed because unlike Joss Whedon who directed Age of Ultron, he did a really bad job of directing that film because he just made everything into a joke. But he doesn't do that. He actually focuses on the heart and the drama of the film . He tackled the subject of depression and loneliness perfectly because all of these characters are depressed. You know Ghost doesn't have any friends. Yelena is guilty of killing a little girl. John Walker is disappointed in himself for not spending enough time with his kid and Bob is traumatized because he had a horrible life. He had a horrible home life he would experiment on. He was addicted to drugs and had trouble balancing his emotions. I think he did a terrific job of developing all these characters as well as tackling the subjects of being depressed and being lonely perfectly. 




So in conclusion this is still one of my favorite mcu movies in the post endgame era because I love how it tackled the subject of loneliness and depression because in real life we all get lonely and depressed and it's a really hard subject to tackle but I love how this film takes it really seriously By making you feel bad for these characters. I also enjoyed the storyline how It was kind of Fillmore to Rise of the Guardians another movie that How to group a characters That were a team and it had the main character Jack Frost going through loneliness and depression. The same thing happened in this film you know Elena is depressed US agent is also depressed Ava even Taskmaster who is just here to die she was also suffer through loneliness and depression when she was being Experimented on by her dad. And also Has the Thunderbolts work as a team to help Bob get Over his traumatic past and take down the void. Although I love the acting Florence Pugh Give her best performance as Elena she did gives this character so much emotion and so much layers at a character because in Black Widow I thought she was just okay But re-watching the film again I actually Started to like her even more in that film. But it's this film that got me to really like this character. Wyatt Russell Who played John Walker/us agent He was also tremendous Because you can tell he is having a lot of fun As this character. Not to mention Ava/Ghost was really funny like the way she would just Trade her teammates like garbage like playing out like the obvious stuff like the temperature rising in the incinerator or Her game annoyed with John Walker and calling Elena a bitch because she doesn't like her Over jokes are really funny and Hannah-John Kaman does a terrific job with her performance. But the actor that steals the show is Lewis Pullman who plays Bob Century and the void and I love how they develop Bob as a character because you see him on this lonely and depressed character who's kind of wimpy because he is going through drug addiction he's having flashbacks of his abusive dad and he had this evil entity known as the void and they are so many memorable moments with him like him bonding with Elena over them being lonely and depressed and having Tragic Origins. Also the century stuff was really awesome how he is able to fight Thunderbolts and you're like watching this and you're like why can't Sentury be in Avengers Infinity War but here's the thing though if he was the movie will be over in like 5 minutes there we didn't really be a movie because Sentury would just kill Thanos. Also The Void was a really tremendous villain he was kind of like the MCU ´ s equivalent to Pitch Black from Rise of the Guardians how both of these villains represent loneliness and depression. The moments with The Void are incredible it's better that final confrontation against him and Bob Ways that you thought you were going to be some great man some savior you can't even save yourself we will always be alone. All's again makes you think why can't boy be the next Thanos instead of Kang because they built this character up and not to mention Jude the law would have been really amazing as void again that whole scenario I keep coming up with in my head where during the climax Void says you want to be alone Bob then fine be alone. It'll just be really amazing to see but unfortunately sins the MCU wasted Jude Law In Captain Marvel by make him a dumb villain unfortunately we never got to see him play this awesome villain. I will say though I think void is still in my top five best MCU villains of all time he is that good and I think he is up there with The Scarlet Which from Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness as one of the scariest villains in the MCU. I highly recommend you watch this film especially if you like rise of the Guardians with Jude Law you will not be disappointed with this film. I give this film a 10/10.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Ranking Everything I Watched in September From Worst to Best

  Ranking Everything I Watched in September From Worst to Best 28. The Runner 27. Passenger 26. Batman The Killing Joke 25. Firestarter 2022...