Friday, November 19, 2021

Here is My Movie Review of Black Widow

 

    Here is my review of Black Widow. 


    Now when comes to this movie I have only saw this movie in theaters and i haven't watched it since because it's just so forgettable But re-watching this movie again I have to say well I think the film is my least favorite in the post endgame era it is actually a little better than the first time I watched it because I actually am starting to like this film now don't get me wrong it still has a lot of problems it doesn't have the best acting Or the best writing in the post endgame era But I will say though it is a lot better than the first time I watched it.



    Now the storyline in this movie I have to say the first time I watched it I was not really into it I thought it was really Bland and really boring but re-watching it again it actually a little bit better than I thought it was because it revolved around Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow Who finds out that her adopted sister Elena Needs her help Free the other black widows from the Red Room Run by General Dreykov as well take down Taskmaster and be reunited with her family and that's basically what the story is for this film. I have to say well I don't think this is one of the great stories that the MCU has used I don't think it is as bad as I thought it was I mean it's better than the storyline Secret Invasion because the storyline in that show was just a big load of nothing with a crappy and to see you villain This will not terrible I vastly prefer the storyline In Shang Chi I think that movie had a way better storyline has much higher Stakes And it feels more original.


 

    The acting in this movie It's really interesting because that first I thought the acting was pretty subpar but re-watching again it's actually really good now I don't think the acting is on the level of like the first Iron Man or the first Avengers film or even Ant-Man and the wasp but for a phase 4 movie it's actually really good actually has pretty good acting.


    Scarlett Johansson plays  Natasha Romanoff Black Widow in the film And she still does a terrific job in this film and she has always been great as Black Widow even going all the way back to Iron Man 2 she is still terrific in the MCU and look even parts where this movie is not working scroll Johansson she still gives it her all. Now the character of Natasha Romanov / Black Widow I liked her in the MCU I always did but I got to say her origin story in the film rewatching again It's still not that interesting because look I do feel bad for what happened to her family But her origin was never that interesting when you compared to other Mcu characters like Bob, Thor, Shang Chi ant-Man, Xu Wenwu, even Gore the god butcher i think those characters had way better origin stories because again why does this okay But not Written that wow. By will say that the bonding that she has with her family it actually the strongest part of this film and the moments with Black Widow are pretty good re-watching the film I think her scenes got better Especially when she finds Elena In our house and the two start fighting each other Or the scene Well her and Elena Recruit the red Guardian It doesn't lead to some really fun and Entertaining moments but I feel like Shang Chi Had more memorable moments Because that film was better written. But the things with black Widow are Again pretty decent.


    Florence Pugh plays Yelena Belova in the film. Now when I first watch this film I thought Florence Peel was just okay in this movie I didn't think she was terrific. But re-watching this movie again her performance was actually even better than the first time I watched it because she is actually the emotional core in fact she actually does a terrific job in the film. Now the character of Yelena Is incredible in fact I think she the best written character in this film because you can tell she's going through loneliness and depression because she is upset that her family was never there for her and they don't believe that they were a real family but she says it was real to me and that whole dinner thing was really emotional and really tragic even though there were MCU jokes I didn't really mind that because I think when Yelena breaks down crying it is one of the most emotionally Beautiful moments in the entire film. She also has a lot of funny moments in the film like where Red Guardian references it's your time of the month and she says I don't get period's dips hit I have no uterus and she explains what the people in the Red Room due to the women by ripping out all the reproductive organs and red guardian is grossed out. Or the scene where she does Black Widows finding pose and she calls her a poser and that was really funny so she still has a lot of fun and Incredible moments in the film. Now she does get better as a character in Thunderbolts and Marvel zombies.


    Rachel Weisz plays Melina Vostok in the film. Now when I first watched this film I thought Rachel Weisz was okay in this film but rewatch it again she actually does a terrific job as this character you can tell she is having a lot of fun as this character. Now the character of Milena Is really interesting because she does care about her family and he wants to help black Widow and Elena to free the other black widows that are under the red rooms mind control dust and she does betray them briefly but only to get them into the red room to end the Black Widow program and save all the other black widows And take down General Drakov and Taskmaster. The scenes with Moana are really terrific because there is some really powerful and emotional stuff like her reuniting with black Widow and Elena because it's been so long and her reaction to seeing alexi Shostakov Wearing his red Guardian outfit Was really funny and And the theme of her trying to say to Joanna that she was protecting her It was also really emotional and really touching to watch and it does lead to some really heartwarming and some really sweet moments in the film. The chemistry between her and scarlett Johansson is really great.



    However the absolute big standout of the entire film is David Harbor as Red Guardian Who completely stole the show in the film because not only was he really funny but he manages to give a really emotional and they really powerful performance in this film and you can tell that David Harbor is having a lot of fun. Now the character of Red Guardian has always been my favorite character in the entire film because you can tell that he really cares about his family and wants to help them take down General Drakeov and Taskmaster and free all the other black widows from the Red Room and even people who did not like this movie they do praise Red Guardian in the film saying that he is the best part of the movie. In fact he is so good that I wish Red Guardian got his own MCU show that would be really amazing and really fun to see. Something else I find really interesting is that David Harbor was Jim Harper on stranger things and he was 11's adoptive dad and in this movie and in the MCU at the hall Red Guardian is also in adopted dad as well. Now the themes with red GuardianAre incredible Because there are so many heartwarming and funny moments like whether it's his reaction to Elena explaining what The people due to all the girls in the Red Room and he like grossed out A said okay okay you don't have to explain the details. or him confering Yelena after she gets into an argument with her family It was the sweetest moments In the entire film and them singing American Pie together Well those are really sweet moment it showed that red guardian really cares for her. Also the scene of him fighting Taskmaster was really awesome. The chemistry between him and Scarlett Johansson was terrific.



    Ray Winstone plays General Dreykov And he absolutely hated being in this film because originally General Drakeov was supposed to be a lot more scarier a lot more intense but Marvel being Marvel they kind of ruined that by having Ray Winston Tone it down and be less threatening and he also hated doing this movie because he found it really annoying because he's not a comic book actor he they dramatic actor and unlike Harrison Ford Didn't really care about being the MCU. He is like whenever I'm Harrison Ford I'm in a captain America movie I'm the red Hulk pay me. I'm Harrison Ford. But the difference being that he did it in a funny way. Well Ray Winston was really annoyed by it and he really hated being in the MCU. Now to be like I don't really blame him his performance it wasn't bad But it was okay. Now the character of General Drakeov it's really interesting because the idea Of his character I like this idea that this guy is a century kidnap and children and point them under his control by making them into skilled killers is a great idea but the problem is There's no reason why he's doing this we don't know why Dreykov is torturing These girls. So well his motivation is really good In concept it just didn't work out and execution now the movie does great job of make you hate this character and there are some good moments with General Drakeov like him explaining his motivation to Natasha Romanov and When he killed one of the Black Widows by activating the chip in her head which causes her to die And it doesn't mean to some really intense and some really interesting moments in the film. But out of all the phase four villains in the MCU I think General Drakeov has one of the most confusing motivations out of all of them because it doesn't make any sense. Fun fact actors like Hugh Grant, Mads Mikkelson, Jeremy Irons, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, Gary Oldman, Javier Bardem, Mark Strong were all considered to play General Dreykov. The chemistry between him and Scarlett Johansson is still amazing.




  Now Olga Kurylenko plaays Antonia Dreykov/Taskmaster In the film now the first time i watched this film I did not like her as this character but re-watching again i think she is okay she doesn't okay job as taskmaster but I do wish they got Jason Statham I think he would have been better as Taskmaster but I will say though She is not as Ewan McGregor as Black Math because that performance is really terrible and really dumb and there are moments where she gives a pretty decent performance despite the horrible writing. But the character of Taskmaster is still really bad but there is stuff I don't hate because I think the first two acts for this character I think Taskmaster was very threatening with the heavy breathing he looked like a Michael Myers type killer and he was praying intimidating. Also have costume was comic accurate looked really cool. But unfortunately the character goes downhill in the last half where it's revealed that Taskmaster What a woman was so stupid and my friend Lou hated this change because he was a big fan of Taskmaster and he hated the gender reveal as much as I did because I think it would be a lot better if it was a guy under the mask the whole time instead of a woman that way it could be more comic book accurate. Now I will say though I did feel bad for Antonio Dreykov because she was lonely in depressed because she was experimenting on by her dad and there are some decent moments with her like the fight scene on the bridge is really cool how she chased after Natasha and Black Widow during that car Chase is really decent but She is still a shitty villain she's still a big disappointment Because I like the ability she has this ability that she's able to mimic people's fighting style by watching them so it's kind of similar to the comics but They didn't really push it as much as I want them to I think they should have pushed it all the way. To be honest I think she's up there with Ultron as one of the most disappointed because much like that villain taskmaster had so much potential for the MCU. But they got him accurately to the comics he would have been one of the best MCU villains probably in my top 10 favorite MCU villains. But since they didn't do that they just made her a really disappointing villain.




    Now the directing by. Cate Shortland is interesting Because I don't think her directing was was that bad because I did think she does a lot of interesting things with the characters in particularly Yelena because Yelena the character you feel bad for she's lonely in depressed because her family wasn't really with her and I think when the film was focusing on that character it was really awesome same with the stuff with Red Guardian now he is the comedic relief of the film but the film does the great job of making you like this character because he really cared about Yelena. I thought the stuff that she did with those two characters was really awesome and I will admit the stuff she does with Black Widow Is decent Because I think there is stuff that she does pretty well with black widow like her bonding with her family that was really awesome But I wish that she Gave Black Widow a better origin because Her origin is not bad I just have never really cared for it. In fact this is her biggest problem with her directing this movie feels Like an average MCU movie Because she butchered taskmaster even though there was some stuff I liked about the character I just wish that she kept him a male and had Jason stayed some play him instead of writing Taskmaster and they complete with different character and that's why I think that her directing was just okay and I feel like this should have been a phase one movie not a Phase 4 movie so overall I think she did a all right job directing this film.




    So in conclusion re-watching this movie again I actually starting to like this film because I think the storyline well not as great as other storylines in the MCU But was interesting to see Black Widow bonding with her family and Going on this mission to Rescue the other black widows from the Red Rooms mind control dust I think that would actually a really cool concept And I think for the most part It works it's not executed perfectly but for what the film had to do I think it did a decent job with its story. Also the acting we think about it was actually really good now Scarlett Johansson Is incredible as Black Widow in this movie Do you give the really emotional and terrific performance as this character. But the actress who steals the entire movie is Florence Peel who plays Elena Now the interesting thing is that the first time I watched it I thought she was just okay but re watching it again I actually liked her more Then I did the first time mainly because The movie actually does a glorious job of making her really tragic and emotional because Elena is a character that is lonely and depressed because her family was never there for her and I think when the film focuses on her It actually gets better because I think all the Elena's moments Are not only funny but all the Royal emotional now that are some funny moments like when she hits Red Guardian in the fifth because she is annoyed by him and he asked her is it her time in the month and Yelena says I don't get periods dip shit I have no uterus and again the whole scene of her explaining what happens in the Red Room and Red Guardian is grossed out by it That was really funny. But my favorite moment is actually the dinner scene where she breaks down crying and she's like complaining that her family was never there for her they never really bonded at the family and it is one of the most tragic moments in the entire film. David Harbor is always funny as Red Guardian his jokes are really funny and all the moments with red guardian are incredible Again his reaction to the stuff with the Red Room of him saying okay okay you don't have to explain the details like he's like grossed out by it. Or him bonding with Yelena when she is unhappy That was also really sweet and really fun to watch. The only performance that did not work for me with Ray Winston who plays the general Drakov I thought did a great job like you hate him as you should but out of all the Indiana the actor that I thought he was pretty bad because all the other Indiana Jones actors were utilized pretty well like Ke Huy Quan And Loki season 2. Harrison Ford in Captain America Brave New World. But Ray Winston was just there. All the Taskmaster were they really Disappointing villain I would expecting Him to be really tremendous again if they just cast Jason Statham Taskmaster would have been a tremendous villain but since the agenda swapped him and essentially changed the whole character She is just a really disappointing and underwhelming going now if she has bad as the super scroll from secret invasion no that character is way more dumber but as a post end game then she is very disappointing There is some good with her character there is some good things I like about her character But again as a villain she's just disappointing. The action sequences were really good now they weren't perfect I think the accuracy wouldn't says in Avengers Infinity War and shang Chi are better but I will say the action sequences were a lot better than the action sequences were in Suicide Squad 2016 mainly because you can see what is happening on screen compared to Suicide Squad 2016 where you can't see anything. But as for the climate to battle I thought it was okay I think I have all The climax is In the post endgame era this one is still my least favorite. So well I started to like this film Because it is the very first movie that me and Lou ever saw in theaters together so I kind of holds a special place in my heart for that reason. I think it's still my least favorite in the post endgame era Because the storyline is just not that great it's okay. I say watch it if you like David Harbor but I say this is a film you can skip because it doesn't really connect to anything in the MCU aside from Thunderbolts. I said go watch Shang-chi with Simu Liu because that film has way better character than much more interesting story and a villain that is actually really terrific and really interesting. I think you'll have a much better time with that film than you'll have with this. I give this movie a 5/10.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Here is My Movie Review of Batman The Killing Joke

Here is My Movie Review of Batman The Killing Joke Now when it comes to Batman The Killing Joke I finally read the graphic novel and I reall...